San Diego Sexual Harassment Lawyer
An Approachable and Assertive Attorney to Protect Your Best Interests
Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious matter that our firm handles. The Law Offices of Devon K. Roepcke can help you file a sexual harassment claim against your employer or co-worker if they have engaged in unlawful harassing behavior. Our firm has been practicing law for a decade and aims to provide honest, trustworthy legal guidance that you can count on. Sexual harassment can happen to employees of all genders, and our firm is dedicated to helping employees throughout San Diego take legal action against sexual harassment.
Contact the Law Offices of Devon K. Roepcke for a free consultation to discuss your next steps in more detail.
California’s Sexual Harassment Laws
Sexual harassment is addressed by both state and federal law, which categorizes sexual harassment claims into two broad categories:
- “Quid Pro Quo” – Literally “this for that,” quid pro quo harassment occurs when someone in the workplace offers an employee some benefit in exchange for a sexual favor or if an employer or supervisor denies an employee some benefit unless that employee provides a sexual favor.
- Hostile Work Environment – This situation occurs when an employer creates or allows an environment in which there is sexually inappropriate behavior that is either severe or pervasive so as to create a hostile environment for one or more employees.
Examples of quid pro quo harassment might be:
- Employers denying an employee a promotion because they would not engage in sexual activity
- Employers denying an employee discretionary compensation like a workplace bonus because they would not engage in sexual activity
- Employers firing an employee for refusing to engage in sexual activity
One example of a hostile work environment situation is when an individual or supervisor makes inappropriate or lewd comments targeted at an employee or in the presence of an employee, which in turn creates an environment that prevents that employee from fully conducting their duties.
Determining if a quid pro quo situation or hostile work environment exists varies case by case, and both the employer and employee may have different opinions regarding whether sexual harassment has occurred. As a result, you deserve an experienced sexual harassment lawyer who will fight for you. If you are an employee who feels that you have faced sexual harassment, the Law Offices of Devon K. Roepcke is happy to assist you and provide a free consultation to answer any specific questions regarding your situation.
Your Options for Sexual Harassment in the Workplace
An employee who feels they have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace or a hostile work environment has one of two options depending on the situation:
- You can file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH); or
- You can file a complaint with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Once you file your claim with either the DFEH or the EEOC, you will then proceed to two options:
- You can allow the agency to do an impartial investigation, look into the complaint, and resolve the matter; or
- You can obtain from one of the agencies a “Right-To-Sue” letter, which allows you to bring a civil lawsuit against your employer for discrimination.
It is highly recommended to consult an experienced sexual harassment lawyer before filing your complaint. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Devon K. Roepcke are trained to assist workers in this complex area of law. If you have been sexually harassed or experienced a hostile work environment, you have the right to take legal action to fight this mistreatment and make sure your employer does not continue this unlawful behavior.
Let the Law Offices of Devon K. Roepcke help you with your sexual harassment case today. Schedule a free consultation to get started.
Devon was extremely knowledgeable and helpful about employment law. He consulted with me about a potential case and was honest, thorough, and easy to talk to. I would definitely recommend him!- R.S.